The Stone Barn has been owned and operated by the Thomforde family for four generations. In 1922, Charles Thomforde established a working farm, planted an apple orchard, and kept honey bees.
In 1958, his son Harold Thomforde began a catering service specializing in chicken barbeques. As business grew, Harold and his wife Elinor began the conversion of the old barn structure (c. 1800s) into a restaurant in 1962. Renovations were made using reclaimed antique brick, weathered cypress boards, and native fieldstone from old building ruins in the nearby countryside. Renovations were completed, and The Stone Barn opened in the spring of 1968.
The Mill was constructed in 1978 in a style to complement the Main barn. It features a water wheel built with parts recovered from an old mill on the Schuylkill River.
Today, the Thomforde family continues The Stone Barn’s 50 year tradition of hospitality and service.